Home » Mexico Travel Info » Mexico Driving » Mexico Traffic Tickets

Traffic Tickets in Mexico

Traffic Tickets in Mexico If you are stopped by a police officer for a traffic violation, you should always politely insist on a written citation that you could pay either at the police station, or by mail. Traffic fines must be paid at the police station. Tickets issued in Tijuana can be paid in the USA with a check or money order made out to:

H. Ayuntamiento de Tijuana
416 West San Ysidro Blvd. Suite L No. 725
San Ysidro, CA 92143

Tickets issued In Rosarito can be paid in the USA with a check or money order made out to:

H. Ayuntamiento de Rosarito
P.O. Box 439060
San Diego, CA 92143-9060

Tickets issued in Ensenada can be paid by sending a check or money order made out to:

Municipio de Ensenada
PMB 147 P.O. Box 189003
Coronado, CA, 92178-9003

Traffic Fines vary by city: (fines are in Mexican Pesos)

  • For running a red light. From $ 226.00 up to $ 678.60 (around $20 to 62 US Dollars)
  • For not having or not using seat belts. From $ 452.40 up to $ 678.60 (around $41 to 62 US Dollars)
  • For using cellular phone while driving. From $ 452.40 up to $ 1,000.00 (around $41 to 91 US Dollars)
  • For driving without a valid driverâ's license or car registration. $ 452.40 (around $41 US Dollars)
  • For drinking alcoholic beverages on the streets, sidewalks or public property. From $ 452.40 up to 904.88 (around $42 to 82 US Dollars)
  • For exceeding the speed limit. From $ 316.00 up to 1,357.00 (around $29 to 123 US Dollars)
  • For driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs (DUI) In addition to the fine, you may also be detained. From $ 904.88 up to $1,923.00 (around $82 to 175 US Dollars)

Procedures After a Traffic Violation

  • Dial the state wide Emergency Response Hotline 066 (equivalent to 911 in the USA) from any private or public telephone, to notify the authorities.
  • Do not move the vehicles that are involved in the accident and wait for the police accident investigator to arrive at the scene.
  • You should call your vehicle insurance company representative.
  • Once the police accident investigator has determined who's at fault, you will be asked to go to the nearest police station, to discuss with other party involved possible mutual settlement agreement concerning payment for repairs, thus avoiding the State DA's office
  • At the police station, if necessary, you have the right to ask for an attorney.
  • If someone is injured in the accident, no matter how slightly, the person alleged to have been at fault must go before the State DA's Office.
  • You should find out if your medical insurance policy applies when traveling abroad or overseas. Many travel agents and private companies offer insurance plans that will cover health care expenses incurred overseas, including emergency services such as medical evacuations.

When faced with a fine that you consider unfair, you can contest the fine by filling an appeal (Recurso de Inconformidad), either in person or in writing, for a Municipal Judge to review. To do this, immediately go to the nearest Municipal Judge within the police station; if you need information on how to do this, call our Tourist Assistance Hot Line 078.

Google Maps
© Copyright. All rights reserved.
Powered by Insurance Website Builder